Benefits of Physiotherapy
Physiotherapy can help to relieve your pain and improve your overall physical function and participation in your activities of daily living, leisure, sports and work performance. By improving and restoring systems of the body related to movement and physical function, you can start to experience improvements in your:
- Pain Intensity
- Postural alignment
- Movement coordination
- Quality of life
What can I expect when I see a Physiotherapist?
Your first session with your physiotherapist will start off with an extensive assessment that may include health history and evaluation of pain; posture; joint range of motion; strength; reflexes; sensation; balance; and movement pattern. In addition, your physiotherapist will examine relevant diagnostic imaging test such as x-rays; medical records, and/or surgical notes.
Your physiotherapists will establish a diagnosis based on this assessment and will work in partnership with you to develop personalized goals and treatment programs to restore, maintain, or increase your physical function and to relieve pain.
Your treatment program might include:
- Therapeutic exercises to build strength, flexibility and mobility
- Manual therapy to reduce pain, stiffness and to restore joint mobility
- Techniques and modalities that reduce pain and facilitate healing
- Corrective techniques to improve muscle imbalances and postural alignment
- Techniques to improve movement, coordination and balance
- Individualized conditioning regimes and functional training to help you return back to sports, leisure, work, and/or your activities of daily living
- Gait retraining
- Work hardening
Do I need a referral from a Doctor?
No, a referral from a Doctor is not necessary. However, it is recommended that you obtain one, as some insurance companies require you to have a Doctor’s referral before they will reimburse service cost.
Will my insurance cover the cost of physiotherapy services?
Most insurance policies with Extended Healthcare Benefits cover physiotherapy services. Please check with your insurance provider to see how much coverage you are entitled to each year.
If you are making a claim through Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) Insurance or Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB), the amount of coverage varies depending on eligibility and severity of your condition.
How much will the physiotherapy service cost?
Initial Assessment (45 minutes): $80
Treatment Session (30 minutes): $60
Payment accepted in cash, debit, and/or credit. Receipt will be issued upon payment for reimbursement from your Extended Health Benefit Insurance.
If you do not have Extended Health Benefit Insurance, please speak to our Physiotherapist for a special discounted rate.
What should I bring during my first visit to the physiotherapist?
- List of medications
- Any relevant x-ray or diagnostic imaging test results
- If you were referred by your doctor, please bring the Doctor’s referral note
- Insurance Coverage Amount for Physiotherapy Service
- Wear or bring loose clothing
If you would like more information or to book an appointment at the Major Mackenzie Natural Health Centre please call 905-884-2279 or email us
View Mark’s Bio